Animal Control

Help With Troublesome Animals

Please call the Orleans County Dispatcher at 585-589–5527 for animal control or nuisance animal issues within the Town of Carlton.

Dog Restrictions

It is unlawful for dog owners within the Town of Carlton to allow their dogs to engage in habitual howling, barking, crying or whining or conduct itself in such a manner as to unreasonably and habitually disturb the comfort of persons other than the dog owner. There is no leash law for dogs in the Town of Carlton.

Dog Licenses

You may obtain a dog license for dogs over 4 months of age from the Town Clerk at our Town Hall Offices at 14341 Waterport-Carlton Road in Albion. Proof of current Rabies vaccination is required. Annual license fee is six dollars for a spayed or neutered dog, and fifteen dollars for an unspayed or unneutered dog. A spay/neuter certificate may be required. Please contact the Town Clerk for more information.

Refuse, Trash & Garbage

County-wide refuse is collected by Modern Disposal. They can be contacted by calling 800-330–7107, between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday.

Recycle Bins

Green recycling bins may be purchased for $7.00 each from the County Real Property Office in Albion at Courthouse Square. Only if you have built a new home are you entitled to a free bin. Call 585-589-5400 for more information.

Obtaining a Marriage License

You may acquire any necessary forms from the Town Clerk at our Town Hall Offices at 14341 Waterport-Carlton Road in Albion. View for a complete, up-to-date listing of questions and answers about how to get married anywhere in New York State.

Copies of Marriage Records

You may obtain a certified copy of a marriage license issued in the Town of Carlton from the Town Clerk at our Town Hall Offices at 14341 Waterport-Carlton Road in Albion. Expect a ten dollar fee. For a thirty dollar fee, you may also obtain a copy from the New York State Department of Health by writing to:

Certification Unit
Vital Records Section
New York State Dept. of Health
P.O. Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602

Genealogy Resources

Please check with the Town Clerk to see what other available records the Town of Carlton may be able to provide

Road Maintenance & Responsibility

The Town of Carlton encompasses Town, County, and State roads. Please note that the Town of Carlton plows both Town and County roads in the winter.

STAR Exemption Application

As of 2015, any new builds or sales need to contact the state for the STAR program. Call 518-457-2036 or apply online at

School Taxes

Carlton encompasses three school districts. For questions about School Taxes, please call the appropriate School District listed below:

Property Tax Information

The Carlton Tax Collector is responsible for County/Town tax bills only. The bills are mailed in the beginning of January. The collection schedule is as follows:

  • Jan 1 – Jan 31: No penalty
  • Feb 1 – Feb 28: 1 % penalty
  • Mar 1 – Mar 31: 2 % penalty
  • Apr 1 – Apr 30: 3 % penalty plus $1.00 notice fee

Unpaid tax rolls are surrendered to the Orleans County Treasurer on May 1st. Please contact the County Treasurer at 585-589–5353 for specific amount owing.

Water Bills

Water meters are read quarterly. Bills are mailed 1 – 2 weeks after meters are read. Penalty-free payments are accepted by mail, or in person at the Town Hall Offices for 30 days after bills are mailed out to customers. A 10% penalty will incur after 30 days.

Hunting & Fishing

Licenses, and Regulations

Hunting, fishing, and trapping in New York State are regulated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Orleans County is located in Region 8 of the DEC. You may call their office for more information at 585-226–2466.
Read more information about hunting in New York State. 
Read more information about freshwater fishing in New York State.

Town of Carlton Board Meetings

All meetings are open to the public, and are held at the Town of Carlton Town Hall Offices, 14341 Waterport-Carlton Road in Albion. The Batavia Daily News is the official paper where all legals are published. Contact the Town Clerk for more information.

Department of Motor Vehicles

You may contact the Orleans County DMV by calling 585-589–3214, or visit them online.

Parking Permits

Persons with severe disabilities

In order to obtain a New York State disabilities parking permit, your doctor must fill out an MV-664. This form must be brought to the Town Clerk in the town where you reside, where you’ll be required to present your Driver’s License, or your non-drivers ID. Please note that a prescription from the Doctor will NOT be accepted in lieu of a completed MV-664.